New bill: Social media check to get gun license

RIGHTS WILL BE CONTINGENT ON SAYING THE RIGHT THINGS? TO FIND OUT WE HAVE INVITED KEVIN PARKER ON THE SHOW TONIGHT FROM BROOKLYN YOU JUST SAW ON THAT TAPE SENATOR PARKER, THANKS FOR COMING ON TONIGHT

>> THANKS FOR HAVING ME ON, TUCKER >> Tucker: I SHOULD SAY AT THE OUTSET WHICH I'M SURE VIEWERS ALREADY KNOW IT'S ALREADY AGAINST FEDERAL LAW TO SELL FIREARMS TO THE MENTALLY ILL, THANK HEAVEN AND I THINK ALL OF US SUPPORT THAT RESTRICTION SO IT'S ALREADY AGAINST THE LAW BUT, WHAT OTHER CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS THAT WE AS AMERICANS POSSESS SHOULD BE CONTINGENT ON HOW WE BEHAVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA? >> WELL, LET'S BE CLEAR, I TAKE AN OATH THAT SUPPORTS THE AMENDMENTS AND THE WHOLE CONSTITUTION BOTH THE US

AND THE STATE GOVERNMENT CONSTITUTION >> Tucker: RIGHT >> THIS IS REALLY NOT IMPINGING ON CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS THIS IS REALLY ABOUT SAFETY THIS IS REALLY ABOUT HOW DO WE, IN FACT, MAKE THE STATE OF NEW YORK AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE? NOW, WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN VERY SAFE

ONE OF THE TOP THREE SAFEST STATES IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY, PARTICULARLY WHEN YOU LOOK AT, YOU KNOW MASS SHOOTINGS, THANK GOD BUT, WE CAN ALWAYS BE SAFER AND WE CAN ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT WHAT HAPPENS IN PITTSBURGH, WHAT WE SAW IN PARKLAND, WHAT WE SAW IN ORLANDO DOESN'T HAPPEN HERE AND SO THIS LAW SIMPLY SAYS LET'S LOOK AT, YOU KNOW, WHAT PEOPLE ARE PUTTING OUT ON SOCIAL MEDIA AS A, YOU KNOW, PART OF A SET OF CRITERIA THAT WE'RE USING TO DETERMINE WHO GETS HAND GUNS >> Tucker: HOLD ON AND BY THE WAY, I AGREE WITH YOUR DESIRE TO MAKE YOUR STATE AND EVERY STATE AS SAFE AS WE POSSIBLY CAN BUT WHY RESTRICT IT TO GUN OWNERS? YOU ARE AN ELECTED OFFICIAL

YOU ARE A STATE SENATOR YOU WE WOULD A LOT YOU WIEWOULD A LOT YOU WIELDULD A LOT YOU WIELD AD A LOT YOU WIELD A LA LOT YOU WIELD A LOTLOT YOU WIELD A LOT OT YOU WIELD A LOT OF POWER YOU CONTROL PEOPLE'S LIVES WHY SHOULDN'T I HAVE THE PASSWORD TO YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT TO ASSESS WHETHER YOU SHOULD BE WIELDING THE POWER YOU SHOULD DO >> MAYBE SHOULD PUT THAT LAW IN AND MAYBE WE CAN DO THAT

>> Tucker: NO IT'S A FAIR QUESTION WOULD YOU SEND ME YOUR PASSWORD? >> TUCKER, MY SOCIAL MEDIA IS OPEN RIGHT NOW CAN YOU GO ON IT AND LOOK AT IT ANYBODY CAN LOOK AT IT IT'S PUBLIC INFORMATION

>> Tucker: I DON'T KNOW HOLD ON, WHY DON'T YOU SEND ME YOUR PASSWORDS AND FIND OUT HOW OPEN IT REALLY IS YOU ARE REQUIRING GUN OWNERS TO GIVE YOU THEIR PASSWORDS WHY SHOULDN'T THEY TURN AROUND AND ASK YOU FOR THE SAME? THAT'S A SINCERE QUESTION >> LOOK, WHAT WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT IS HOW DO WE MAKE THE STATE OF NEW YORK SAFE? I'M SIMPLY SAYING RIGHT NOW WE'RE NOT AS SAFE AS WE CAN BE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SAYING THINGS ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND WE'RE NOT USING THAT AND LOOKING AT THAT AS WE, IN FACT, GIVE OUT A WEAPON THAT CAN USED TO KILL PEOPLE >> Tucker: I GET WHAT YOU ARE SAYING

I GUESS I'M JUST WONDERING WHY WE ARE RESTRICTING I MEAN AS LONG AS — YOU SAID PRIVACY IS NOT A CONCERN IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT PRIVACY DON'T CARRY A GUN DON'T BUY A GUN OKAY

BUT YOU ARE SAYING THAT THAT'S THE ONLY CATEGORY TO WHICH THIS APPLIES WHY DON'T WE APPLY IT TO VOTING BEFORE YOU VOTE AND CHOOSE WHO RUNS THE STATE, WHO CONTROLS YOUR LIFE, WHY SHOULDN'T YOU HAVE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHECKED? I'M NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND >> BECAUSE VOTING DOESN'T NECESSARILY LEAD TO PEOPLE KILLING EACH OTHER THIS IS REALLY ABOUT ACCESS TO GUNS

THIS IS ABOUT ACCESS TO GUNS AND WE KNOW THERE IS A DIRECT CORRELATION WITH THE NUMBER OF GUNS THAT ARE AVAILABLE IN STATES AND THE PREVALENCE OF MASS SHOOTINGS >> Tucker: WE DON'T KNOW I'M SORRY, JUST THAT'S ACTUALLY — THAT'S NOT TRUE I THINK WYOMING HAS THE HIGHEST PER CAPITA GUN OWNERSHIP IN THE COUNTRY I DON'T THINK THERE ARE ANY MASS SHOOTINGS

>> WITH THE FIVE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN WYOMING AND THE GUNS THEY HAVE >> Tucker: THERE IS NOT A CORRELATION BETWEEN THOSE TWO THINGS >> ABSOLUTELY THERE IS ABSOLUTELY TUCKER, THERE ABSOLUTELY IS

WHEN WE LOOK AT PLACES LIKE JAPAN AND LOOK AT PLACES LIKE AUSTRALIA, THEY HAVE MUCH LOWER GUN VIOLENCE AND MASS SHOOTINGS >> Tucker: THE QUESTION HERE >> THEY LIMIT THE NUMBER OF GUNS THAT PEOPLE HAVE >> Tucker: YOU ARE NOT CALLING FOR LIMITING THE NUMBER OF GUNS IN THIS BILL YOU ARE CALLING FOR PEOPLE TO TURN OVER SOCIAL MEDIA PASSWORDS SO YOU CAN DECIDE WHETHER THEY HAVE SAID THINGS THAT ARE NAUGHTY AND IF THEY HAVE, THEY DON'T GET TO OWN A GUN

AND SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT OTHER CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS ARE DEPENDENT ON YOUR APPROVAL? IS THE RIGHT TO ABORTION? SHOULD WE BEFORE ALLOWING WOMEN TO HAVE ABORTIONS CHECK THEIR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS? THIS IS A SIP SEAR QUESTION? IF NOT? WHY NOT? >> TUCKER, I'M REALLY FOCUSING ON THE ISSUE OF GUN VIOLENCE THERE IS TOO MUCH GUN VIOLENCE IN OUR COMMUNITIES TOO MUCH GUN VIOLENCE ACROSS THE COUNTRY >> Tucker: I AGREE I'M AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE >> WE NEED TO GET IT DOWN

>> Tucker: HOLD ON WHO IS GOING TO MAKE THIS DID >> THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE >> Tucker: BUT THEY WILL JUST DECIDE — TYPICALLY BEFORE WE DETERMINE SOMEONE IS MENTALLY ILL WE ADJUDICATE THAT PERSON MENTALLY ILL >> THIS IS NOT ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS

>> Tucker: WHAT IS IT ABOUT? >> IN ADDITION TO THE OTHER CRITERIA THAT THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE WILL USE AND THEY ALREADY USE TO DETERMINE WHO SHOULD BE ELIGIBLE TO GET A GUN PERMIT, IN ADDITION TO THAT WHAT I'M SAY SOMETHING WE SHOULD ALSO HAVE THE STATE POLICE REVIEW THE SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING THE REQUESTS YOU CAN >> Tucker: AND TAKE PASSWORDS WHAT WOULD CAUSE STATE POLICE, INDEPENDENT OF A JUDGE, GET TO DECIDE WHETHER YOU CAN HAVE A GUN OR NOT BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT THEY LIKE WHAT YOU SAID ON FACEBOOK? >> THE STATE LEGISLATURE HAS THE ABILITY, WITH THE SIGNATURE OF THE GOVERNOR, TO, IN FACT, MAKE LAW AND SO WE MAKE IT THE LAW

WE THEN CAN, IN FACT, SUBSCRIBE TURN OVER POWER TO THE STATE POLICE AND THEY MAKE A DETERMINATION WHICH THEY DO YOU WILL AT TIME BY THE WAY >> Tucker: THE POLICE GET TO UNILATERALLY DECIDE WHETHER WE CAN EXERCISE OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT? YOU ARE COMFORTABLE GIVING POLICE THAT POWER >> THE STATE LEGISLATURE IS DECIDING IT >> Tucker: NO STATE LEGISLATURE IS HANDING OVER TO THEM THE POWER TO DECIDE

>> EXACTLY >> Tucker: OH, NO, EXACTLY, RIGHT? >> BUT THEY ALREADY HAVE THAT POWER RIGHT NOW AT THIS VERY MOMENT THE STATE POLICE DECIDES WHO GETS A GUN AND WHO DOESN'T GET A GUN >> Tucker: DO YOU THINK IT'S A LITTLE INTRUSIVE THAT THE GOVERNMENT WOULD BE FORCING CITIZENS TO TURN OVER THEIR SOCIAL MEDIA PASSWORDS TO THE POLICE BEFORE DOING SOMETHING THE CONSTITUTION GUARANTEES THEM THE RIGHT TO? THAT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU IN ANY WAY? DOESN'T SEEM A LITTLE BIT TOTALITARIAN OR SOMETHING MAYBE CHINA WOULD DO? >> TUCKER, WE MAKE LEGISLATION THROUGH A PROCESS ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU HAVE OBJECTED TO, THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO OBJECT TO IT THERE ARE CONVERSATIONS GOING ON

>> Tucker: I CAN'T LET YOU SKIRT THE THIRD QUESTION DO YOU THINK IT'S A LITTLE BIT — >> — NO I'M NOT WHAT I'M SAYING TO YOU >> Tucker: I'M AWARE HAD HOW OUR GOVERNMENT WORKS >> AN OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO WORK TOGETHER TO, IN FACT, LOOK AT THIS MAYBE THE PASSWORD — >> Tucker: THESE ARE YOUR BILLS AND YOUR PROPOSALS

SOMETHING THAT YOU CAME UP WITH >> ABSOLUTELY >> Tucker: I'M JUST ASKING YOU AS YOU SAT AT YOUR LAPTOP AND TYPED OUT YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAND OVER YOUR PASSWORDS TO THE STATE POLICE AND IF THEY DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU SAY YOU DON'T GET TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT DON'T YOU THINK THAT SOUNDS A LITTLE ORWELLIAN TO ME REALLY? YOU ARE GOING TO DO THAT

>> FOCUSING ON A PART THAT QUITE NOT REALLY THE WHOLE BILL, RIGHT IN THE BIG THING IS >> Tucker: OTHER THAN THAT, MRS LINCOLN, HOW WAS THE PLAY? IT'S NOT THE WHOLE BILL >> IT'S NOT THE WHOLE BILL BUT IT'S PART OF IT >> Tucker: IT'S PART OF IT AND YOU DON'T SEE THAT AS FASCIST IN ANY WAY? SHOULD THE STATE POLICE HAVE TO SIGN OFF ON YOUR MARRIAGE DO YOU THINK OR HOW MANY KIDS YOU COULD HAVE? BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY SOME PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE GETTING MARRIED

>> RIGHT AGAIN, WHAT WE'RE CONCERNED ABOUT IS THE SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK AND WE'RE CONCERNED THAT PEOPLE >> Tucker: I'M NOT GOING TO MOVE YOU FROM YOUR TALKING POINT I'M NOT GOING TO GET TO YOU THINK CRITICALLY ABOUT THIS, OBVIOUSLY

>> NO, WHAT I'M DOING IS TALKING ABOUT THE VALUES AND I GET THAT SOME PEOPLE >> Tucker: WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS SCARING ME >> HAVING A GUN IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN PROTECTING THE LIVES OF STRANGERS >> Tucker: NO BE ABLE TO SAY CONTROVERSIAL THINGS ONLINE

LAST QUESTION DO YOU THINK PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY OUTRAGEOUS THINGS IN PUBLIC? >> THEY CERTAINLY CAN SAY WHATEVER THEY WANTS TO SAY >> Tucker: BUT THEN YOU PUNISH THEM FOR SAYING THAT >> WE ALSO HAVE THE RIGHT TO DENY THEM A GUN PERMIT IF WE BELIEVE THAT THE THINGS THEY ARE SAYING MAY LEAD TO THEM ENDANGERING THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK >> Tucker: MAY OR MAY NOT >> FRANKLY, THE SUPREME COURT HAS ALREADY SAID THAT

>> Tucker: SAY SOMETHING NAUGHTY — >> — FOR INSTANCE, WE LIMIT PEACH ALL THE TIME LIKE PORNOGRAPHY, PARTICULARLY CHILD PORNOGRAPHY, RIGHT? >> Tucker: CHILD PORNOGRAPHY HAS NOT BEEN RULED TO BE SPEECH I WOULD REFER TO YOU BRANDON VS OHIO IN 1967 WHICH IS THE FINAL WORD ON SPEECH FROM THE SUPREME COURT SINCE YOU ARE INTERESTED AND ALLOWS ALL SPEECH EXCEPT SPEECHES THAT CALLS FOR IMMINENT VIOLENCE ALL SPEECH >> LIKE GETTING A GUN AND RUNNING INTO A SYNAGOGUE, RIGHT? I WOULD CALL THAT IMMINENT VIOLENCE, RIGHT? >> Tucker: THAT'S NOT SPEECH THAT'S VIOLENCE NOW YOU ARE REALLY SCARING ME >> SO WE HAVE TO LIMIT VIOLENCE

I'M SAYING YOU LIMIT VIOLENCE BY LIMITING >> Tucker: ELIMINATE SPEECH AND ELIMINATING PRIVACY >> NO, COME ON >> Tucker: COME ON GIVE ME YOUR PASSWORD

I WILL SEND YOU A TEXT AND